The Australian government has announced a number of changes to its immigration program in 2023. These changes are designed to make the program more efficient and responsive to the needs of the Australian economy.
Here are six of the most important changes:
- Australia and UK Free Trade Agreement fast-tracked. The Australia and UK Free Trade Agreement (FTA) has been fast-tracked, with the aim of being finalized by the end of 2023. The FTA will create new opportunities for Australians and British citizens to live, work, and study in each other’s countries.
- Increase in visa application charge. The visa application charge for most temporary and permanent visas will increase by 50% in 2023. This increase is intended to help offset the cost of processing visa applications.
- New Zealand citizens Australian citizenship eligibility changes. New Zealand citizens who have been living in Australia for at least five years will now be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship without having to meet the English language requirement. This change is intended to make it easier for New Zealanders to become Australian citizens.
- Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT) raised to $70,000. The Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT) will be raised to $70,000 in 2023. This means that temporary skilled visa holders will need to earn at least $70,000 per year in order to be eligible to apply for a permanent visa.
- Expanded pathways to permanent residence. The government will expand the number of pathways to permanent residence for skilled workers and international students. This will make it easier for these individuals to stay in Australia permanently.
- New focus on skills and qualifications. The government will focus on attracting skilled workers and international students with the skills and qualifications that are in demand in the Australian labour market. This will help to ensure that Australia has the workforce it needs to grow its economy.
These are just some of the changes to Australian immigration in 2023. If you are considering migrating to Australia, it is important to stay up-to-date on the latest changes so that you can make informed decisions about your visa application.
For more information on Australian immigration, please visit the following websites:
- Department of Home Affairs: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/
- Migration Council of Australia: https://www.migrationcouncil.org.au/
- Australian Immigration Lawyers Association: https://www.aila.org.au/